TABLE OF CONTENTS
This is possible by using eBay's domestic postage rate tables, you can specify variable postage costs for up to 100 different regions across Australia.
Postage rate tables can provide even more accurate postage charges to buyers. eBay have provided a template designed to help you prepare for postage rate tables.
For more information, and the most up to date FAQ’s on eBay's postage rate tables please see here.
eBay offers sellers the choice between 3 different types of postage rate table, which are:
- Item: The cost is based on your postage service and postage destination, allowing you to charge different rates for locations that are further away.
- Weight: A fixed base cost, plus an additional fixed amount per kilogram. This option works well for heavier items.
- Surcharge: Add a surcharge to your base postal price, for any destination and postage service.
Setup postage rate tables in your eBay seller account
- Log into your eBay seller account.
- Go to https://www.ebay.com.au/ship/prf
- Under the heading “Postage settings” select the “Edit” link next to “Use postage rate tables”.
You can set your shipping rates by item, weight, or surcharge:
- Item: This option is good for items that have similar sizes and weights, but where you need to set different shipping charges by region
- Weight: If you want to charge a fixed base cost, plus an additional amount per kilogram. This is calculated based on the weight you provide when listing your item. Weight rate tables work well if you sell a range of items that vary in size and weight
- Surcharge: Add a surcharge to your base postal price, for any destination and postage service. Remember, buyers will see the total postage costs only, not the additional costs.
- To begin, select whether you want to create a Domestic or International rate table.
- Choose a name for your rate table. (e.g "Bulky Items Rate Table").
- Next, for each of the services you offer choose your regions and specify how much you want to charge buyers for that service. For example, you can offer expedited (i.e. 1 day delivery) from Sydney to Melbourne for $15, but offer free postage for standard delivery.
- The next step is to add the cost per item or kg, per region group.
- Select the service level you’d like to add (e.g. Expedited and/or Standard), click on "Add regions/states", and check the region(s) you wish to add to your rate table.
- To finish, click the blue ‘Save’ button to save your rate table!
Now you need to make sure to link the Rate Table you created to the eBay Postage Policy.
- To do this you need to go back into the Business Policy and edit the postage policy that you want the rate table to apply to. Our image below shows 'basic' but it can be any policy you want to use.
- Tick the 'apply domestic postage rate table' and select the rate table you want to apply. Then click Save.
Free Postage on Rate Tables
To offer free postage when using rate tables, enter $0 in the price field, don't leave it blank.
- If you chose the kg weight option, please note that the first weight break is set to 1kg, even if the actual weight of your item is lower.
- If you're opted-in to the eBay Guaranteed Delivery program, you will see an additional column labelled "Speed" when setting up your rate table(s).
- You'll need to enter a "speed" (the number of days it will take to deliver to) for each group of regions you've configured if so. e.g.
While the next step is not mandatory, it’s recommended you set up your cut-off times so eBay can provide more accurate delivery timeframes to your buyers. To do so:
- Go to https://www.ebay.com.au/ship/prf
- Under the "Postage settings" section and click Edit next to "Set same business day handling"
- Check your working days, set the cut-off times for each day then click the "Save" button
- See two screen captures below
Next Step - Setup in eBay Link / Omnivore
Now that you have set up your postage rate table you need to apply it to your eBay listings. This second step is completed in your eBay Link/Omnivore app. To do so, go back into the dashboard of our platform and follow the steps below.
- From the left-hand menu select Settings - eBay Australia - Shipping.
- Select the “edit” icon next to the shipping policy you want to use the rate table with (in the example below we are using the "basic" policy.
- In the shipping policy select “Yes” against the “Enable Complex Shipping” radio button and click “Update”.
- To apply this change to your products on eBay click the “Synch policies” button.